Bromodosis – Causes and Management of Smelly Feet
- Mar 25, 2022
At the end of a long, exhausting day, it is a relief to remove your shoes, isn’t it? But for a person with bromodosis, it may not be a fun experience as their feet smell a lot. People who suffer from smelly feet often wonder if the cause of their smelly feet is some kind of health issue. It usually isn’t, and foot odor is a common problem especially in people who sweat a lot and wear shoes all day long.
Causes of Smelly Feet
- Sweating - Our feet have about 250,000 sweat glands. Sweat and bacteria combine and give rise to foot odor. When the feet are trapped in closed shoes and socks the whole day, bromodosis gets worse.
- Skin Conditions – Certain medical conditions, like athlete’s foot, may cause smelly feet.
- Hyperhidrosis – This is a condition that causes excessive sweating even when it isn’t warm. Feet sweat more leading to smell.
- Diabetes – People with diabetes could develop a foot ulcer and may not be aware of it. If the ulcer festers, it could cause smelly feet.
Managing Foot Odor
Good hygiene is most important in the management of foot odor. Here are some simple ways to manage smelly feet.
- Wash feet with mild soap and lukewarm water at least once a day.
- Dry thoroughly, making sure to remove all the moisture between toes.
- Keep toenails trimmed, clean and short.
- Do a regular pedicure.
- Anti-odor sprays and powders can be effective.
- Wear clean, moisture-wicking socks every day.
- Change socks a couple of times a day.
- If possible, change shoes at least once a day.
- Keep your shoes out to air when you remove them.
- Powder your feet before putting on shoes and socks.
- Wear sandals or open toed footwear whenever possible.
Also Read: Follow these tips for Healthy Feet
If these simple tips do not seem to make your bromodosis any better, you should consider consulting a podiatrist. They will be able to check if you have any underlying skin conditions or health issues that are causing smelly feet. They will also be able to prescribe strong anti-fungal sprays that can help you manage this condition.